Friday 24 February 2012

The Good the Bad and the Ugly No.5

Jim Clohessy, I am a boat angler based in Cork Ireland. My real job involves running training courses. I write the monthly “Dinghy Angler” article for Irish Angler magazine and have been doing so since 2004. I do my fishing from my Warrior 175 “SKUA” and of course my Honwave Rubber Duck. From wrecks 40 miles out to creeping around in a foot of water…I love it!
Clohessy getting up and personal with the local wildlife......Only the Irish :-)

 Who would be your ideal dinner guests? - I think I’d like to sit in a Cuban restaurant with Ernest Hemingway, Zane Grey and maybe John Wayne…back in the days of experimenting with big game angling…of course I’d like to have today’s rods and reels!

If you are not fishing/writing/photographing what would we normally find you doing in your spare time? - More than likely doing something “boaty” or near the sea. That could be anything from tinkering around with kit to tramping over some beach or cliff with family or friends.

What was your favourite year and why? - In fishing terms most years bring highs and lows. Last year was an incredibly enjoyable year from a fishing perspective, mostly spent lure angling for bass. There were a few great years a while back when the offshore wrecks were humming… One year tends to roll into another but on balance it’s all great!

If you were a animal what kind of animal would you be and why? - I suppose it would have to be a donkey… (I call enough fellows donkeys!)

If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional. with whom would it be? - If it’s only for a week: Jean Luc Picard – Fishing on the holodeck anyone?

What is your worst quality? - I am told that sometimes I can be moody/cranky …  I like to call it attention to detail!


Nice Bass nailed on a Fiiish, Black Minnow
What is your most prized angling related item you have and why? - It would have to be my boat or any boat for that matter. Boat=fishing!
If you could only fish for one fish for the rest of your life what would it be and why? - I suppose it would have to be bass. So many different ways to catch them and I don’t think you ever get tired of the fight.

Angling is supposed to be one of the most relaxing hobbies around so what one thing really pisses you off about our wonderful sport? - Angling relaxing? You must be joking! Try fishing the Cork Small Boats Festival-Four days of madness Mars bars and Red Bull! Boat angling is usually hectic but that said it is different from the normal grind and therefore relaxing if you get my drift! In the meantime the things that piss me off about angling are bureaucracy, bullshitters and fellows trying to bleed you dry for information and not passing any back in return!

Who or what got you into angling? - Parents, especially my father: first rod, first trip, first boat. Respect!

Where do you see your self in fishing in the next 5 years? - I would like to be still enjoying my fishing and able to do it. I would still like to be writing about it and take a few trips abroad to sample fishing in warmer waters during the winter.

Who or what has influenced your angling to get you to the stage you are now? - I have met some cracking anglers while fishing and most have helped me along the way or have managed to teach me something. Local madman and nice guy Donal Domeney deserves a mention as does UK angler Gordon Thornes – these guys answered the innumerable questions and demonstrated techniques – something I am always prepared to do now when asked – just don’t ask me for marks for bass!

No comments:

Post a Comment